Recent improvements in orthodontics pertaining to traditional braces have resulted in smaller, stronger, more efficient and less conspicuous brackets. Metal brackets are the most familiar, however, clear and tooth-colored ceramic and plastic brackets are also available.
Braces are bonded brackets, arch wires and elastic bands that move crowded or spaced teeth into the proper position for appearance and function. Over a period of time, teeth will shift if constant, gentle pressure is applied. Brackets are bonded to the front surface of each tooth and wires are attached to the brackets with elastic bands. The slight tension on the wire is gently transferred to the bracket through the elastic band. Today’s orthodontic treatment is faster, comfortable and more fashionable than ever before for children, teens and adults.
Types of Braces:
Metal with ligature
- Ligature Braces
- Most common, popular
- Appropriate for most type of treatment
- Uses rubber-band (ligature) to hold the arch wire
Pros: least expensive
Cons: more visible than ceramic, less comfortable, less hygienic (ligature traps food particles), longer treatment time
- Ceramic Braces
- Type of braces Tom Cruise had
- Clear made of ceramic (porcelain) or polycarbonate (plastic)
- Teflon coated or fiber glass arch wire (less flexible, do not move teeth readily)
- Ceramic – will not stain
- Polycarbonate – will stain and wear off
- It’s the ligature that stains, not the brackets!
Pros: blend in with most teeth, not very visible
Cons: rubber band can stain which defects aesthetics, more expensive
Self- Ligating (Self-Locking)
- Self-Litigating Braces
- Do not need rubber bands to hold the arch wire onto the brackets
- Sliding door technique: the brackets allow the wire to slide back and forth – fewer adjustment and less appointments
Pros: less food gets trapped, no staining problem, fewer visits, shorter treatment time than non-self-ligating
Cons: more costly
- Lingual Braces
- Placed behind teeth
- Metal brackets
Pros: not noticeable
Cons: hurt tongue, difficult to speak initially, more expensive because treatment is specialized, longer treatment than traditional brackets
We offer the clinically proven invisalign braces treatment, the almost invisible way to provide teeth straightening.
Clear Invisalign braces are the ultimate cosmetic brace for creating beautiful smiles! Invisalign is a revolutionary way for teeth straightening without obvious braces by using a series of nearly undetectable aligners instead of wires and brackets. These clear braces move your teeth, week by week, millimeter by millimeter, to the desired position.
Using 3D computer technology each of your Invisalign brace aligners is made to sit snugly over your teeth and unlike normal braces can be removed for eating, brushing and flossing. You’ll visit us once every two to six weeks to ensure that your orthodontic treatment is progressing as planned. Treatment time averages 5-12 months, using 10 to 24 aligners.
Invisalign is particularly suitable for adults and most teenagers. We are a leading orthodontist for Invisalign braces Vancouver.
- Invisalign braces
- Good for patients who like to straighten teeth without being notice.
- Aligners are numbered and worn for two weeks each
- Computer simulation during each treatment showing how your teeth will move and the projected final outcome
- Strong plastic trays specially fabricated to suit each patient
Pros: virtually invisible, easier to clean and maintain, no irritation to gums, no need for dental wax, does not stain
Cons: more costly, may need traditional braces for a few months before or after invisalign treatment, need excellent compliance, 6 weeks for aligners to arrive from factory and may need more aligners (enhancements) after the original set
Contact us for more information on Orthodontics in Vancouver or for a FREE consultation session.